What is Sonara TCD?
The Sonara is a digital Transcranial Doppler technology that has been considered for many years as the leading TCD choice for medical practitioners in the USA and internationally. It was originally acquired and distributed globally by Viasys Healthcare, followed by Carefusion, and more recently, as part of Natus. In all cases, the Sonara was distributed under the Nicolet brand name.
Class of its Own TCD System
When first introduced to the marketplace, the Sonara quickly emerged as the most advanced system of its time. It had an easy and intuitive user interface, cutting-edge digital technology, and many more special options and features such as introducing and simplifying the Breath Holding Test.
In addition, while only stand-alone TCD systems such as the Sonara were known to the market at the time, the development team also launched the Sonara/Tek TCD module, which had an immediate effect on the market perception of TCD, and became a complete TCD system after connection to a separate computer and display.
Dolphin as the Modern Successor of Sonara TCD
The Dolphin TCD technology, which was developed roughly 15 years later, maintained many of the advantages of the Sonara systems while adding numerous hardware and software features to overcome missing elements in the Sonara and Sonara/Tek. In fact, many of the new additions to the Dolphin can be considered unique in the general TCD world. Among the improvements of the Dolphin over the Sonara TCD are:
- The ability to perform complete offline analysis such as changing the insonated depth after freeze,
- The addition of external channels analog/digital input/output,
- Support of 1.6 MHz probe for improved cranial penetration through the temporal window,
- Addition of 16 MHz intraoperative probes (not available in the USA),
- Integrated battery-operated Dolphin/MAX TCD system,
- Support of camera for improved documentation,
- Support of multiple remote workstations,
- Integrated network capabilities including DICOM and HL7 and Structured Reporting,
- Dedicated protocols, and
- The Dolphin/XF bilateral TCD robotic monitoring probe.
In addition, the Dolphin/IQ , which is the module version of the Dolphin, is a complete bilateral system, whereas the Sonara/Tek was unilateral.
To read more about Sonara TCD and its features comparison to Dolphin, click here.
Many medical practitioners in leading medical centers around the world are excited to work with the advanced Dolphin transcranial Doppler system just as the Sonara reached its end of life.
If you own a Sonara or Sonara/Tek TCD machine, we invite you to leave us a message. A local representative will reach out to you with more information about the benefits of upgrading to Dolphin.